Property Consultants in London

Property Consultants in London

When you need independent specialist buildings knowledge to help you make informed decisions you can rely on us. We have expertise in all of the following:

We have expertise in assessing the damage caused by subsidence, fire, vehicle impact and flood.

We can help you with specification of works required for reinstatement of the building, project management of those works, oversight of the contractors at final account including payment of insurance companies or their representatives. Where a valid claim has been accepted by the insurance company our fees are normally included as part of the claim.

If you are the freeholder and your leaseholder is planning to make alterations to the building,

it is important that you get independent advice to ensure that your interests are protected.
This could include internal or external alterations such as:

  • Remove internal walls
  • Replace floor coverings which may affect sound insulation between flats
  • Change windows
  • Alter plumbing services
  • Build new toilets or bathrooms or reposition existing
  • Cutting and forming new external openings

These kinds of alterations require a Licence To Alter which is a legal document of consent generally issued by your solicitor working in close collaboration with your surveyor and Leaseholder’s professional advisors.

If you appoint us as your surveyor, the cost for such advice will normally be chargeable to the Leaseholder who is proposing the works  - under the terms of the Lease Agreement.

Our surveyors and structural engineers can help you protect your property by reviewing the leaseholder’s proposals, providing technical advice on the impact those alterations may have on the property now and in the future, clarifying any any legal implications and monitoring the works through to ensure standards are adhered to.

If you are a tenant requesting alterations to a demised area of your property, we can also advise you on how to obtain a licence to alter.

There are different ways you can resolve a contract dispute and in all of them, you will benefit from having an expert in construction law  and buildings to represent your interests.

We can advise and represent you through these processes:

This is a consensual process which parties to explore whether the dispute can be settles without resorting to litigation. In some contracts there is an expectation that mediation is considered and failure to do so can result in cost penalties in the award of costs following litigation.

This is an interim method of dispute resolution brought in by the Housing Grants Construction Regeneration Act 1996 which allows parties to refer a dispute to an Adjudicator for his or her decision.

The decision is temporarily binding until the parties have resolved their dispute through Arbitration or Litigation. The key benefit of Adjudication is speed and it is possible to have a decision within 28 days.

Many forms of building contract now contain provisions for Arbitration as the default method of dispute resolution. The benefit of Arbitration is that the process is private and potentially quicker and cheaper than litigation. A considerable benefit is that an Arbitrator is often a specialist in the field of the dispute such as a Surveyor or engineer.

From October 2004 companies and organisations that provide services to the public have been required, by the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA), to ensure that those services are reasonably accessible to disabled people.

Alterations to provide disabled access need not be expensive. We can provide you with a detailed access audit of your property. We can also specify the changes you need to make, get competitive building quotes and oversee the works to make sure they comply with the DDA.

In October 2006 Fire Authorities stopped issuing fire certificates. Those previously in force now have no legal status. That’s because the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 replaced a raft of previous legislation and applies to virtually all premises and types of building, structure and open space except private houses but including the communal areas of residential flats.

It is now incumbent upon employers and those responsible for the building (eg. Landlords) to ensure adequate measures are taken to comply with the requirements of the Regulations. This may mean providing adequate fire compartmentation, means of escape, fire fighting equipment, smoke detection, advising on managerial issues, etc.

Because every building is different, it is necessary to carry out Fire Risk Assessments and we are able to do that for you. We will survey your premises, produce a practical assessment and make cost effective recommendation of how you can meet the requirements for a Fire Risk Assessment.

If you are a property manager we can help you with capital expenditure (CAPEX) reports so that you can budget for future repairs, maintenance and capital expenditure.

We use the latest Building Cost Information (BCIS) data to determine life spans for building components and replacement costs. Our experience of such works means we can forecast the likely costs over the next 10 or 20 years or even a ‘whole life cycle’ approach.

This ensures that you and your clients are better able to budget for the long term, collect appropriate levels of service charge and avoid surprises.

Buildings weather and deteriorate over time and planned maintenance is best organised with the advice of a property expert who understands these timeframes and how to cost a cyclical maintenance programme.

We oversee repair and maintenance programmes to residential, institutional and commercial buildings. This includes providing professional advice and repair specifications for large scale maintenance, planned maintenance and small scale responsive (one-off) repair works.

Who we work with

We work with landlords, property developers, construction companies, loss adjusters & assessors.

Find out more

Talk to an expert

Call 020 8381 3910

Alternatively use the form below and we will call you back.
Tell us a little about the project so we can have the best person call you.